This Insights on Democracy from South Africa lesson plan also includes:
As part of their study of democracy, high schoolers listen to a podcast featuring two South African educators and their efforts to support the process of transforming the nation from apartheid rule into a democracy. Learners also read and discuss quotations from other South Africans about how citizens have come to understand and practice democracy.
- Create a listening guide for the eight-minute podcast to help keep listeners focused
- Pause the audio frequently to check for understanding as well as to permit listeners to ask a question and to take notes
- Have groups investigate different types of democracies
- Fourth of eight lessons in the "What Makes Democracy Work?" Election 2020 series
- In addition to the 9-minute podcast, the packet includes discussion questions