This Human Tree: Dilations video also includes:
Look at dilations exponentially. Using a fractal from a museum exhibit, the installment from the Math at the Core: Ratios series introduces the term dilation. The presenter points out that dilations can make images either smaller or larger. The video also challenges viewers to use exponents to write scale factors.
- Given a picture of a fractal in nature, find the direct scale factor from the first generation to the last generation
- Uses the same National Museum of Mathematics exhibit as in Human Tree: Ratios
- Class members should understand the meaning of exponents
- Includes a materials list for the teacher and the class
- Provides timing suggestions for each part of the activity