This How Horses Took Over North America (Twice) video also includes:
Should horses be considered native to North America? PBS Eons presents the fossil record to answer this question. the video starts with the evolution of animals that eventually led to the family scientists now know includes horses. Then, the presenter details the changes in the environment that allowed these beautiful creatures to spread to other continents and explains how they eventually died off on their original continent. The video ends with humans reintroducing horses and the many changes in the species since that time.
- Create a timeline of the animals discussed in the video
- If possible, visit a horse farm, ranch, or even a petting zoo with horses
- Relies on prior knowledge of evolution and climate change
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Fast pace helps maintain viewer interest
- Works great in traditional or flipped classes