This Grade 9 ELA Module 4, Unit 1, Lesson 6 lesson plan also includes:
How do writers create a specific tone in their text? As class members continue their study of Sugar Changed the World, they focus on the words and phrases that Aronson and Budhos use to create that tone in their descriptions of arduous work on the 18th century sugar plantations.
- After groups identify the words and phases that create the tone of the passage, have them alter the wording and analyze the affect these changes have on the tone
- The focus of the one-unit module is on helping writers develop the skills they need to develop well-crafted arguments supported by strong evidence
- Requires individual copies of Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos' Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom, and Science, the central text of the unit
- The sixth in a 28 lesson unit designed to directly address Common Core reading and writing standards for grade 9
- The 10-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions with model responses, and a model sugar mapping tool, and