This Grade 10 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 5 lesson plan also includes:
Even the most rigid expectations come from a place of deeply-held values. Explore the ways that Jing-Mei's mother's parental expectations affect her relationship with Jing-Mei in a key chapter of Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club. Tenth graders gather evidence to support the central themes in the chapter, and discuss how the characters' opinions and conversations reveal their priorities and values.
- Though the resource features one chapter of the book and the previous lessons focus on another, you could treat the two selections as separate excerpts rather than parts of the same book, as they discuss different characters
- The fifth lesson in a 14-part series
- You'll need class sets of the novel or copies of the excerpts
- Encourages self reflection aligned to the Common Core standards
- Comes with full versions of the unit, as well as the whole module, and additional reading materials