This simulation begins with an exploration of water pressure and atmospheric pressure. In the flow portion, scholars reshape a pipe and see fluid dynamics at work. The water tower portion encourages pupils to determine how water trajectory in a leaky water tower is altered by changing the variables of height and water level.
- Compare and contrast atmospheric pressure and water pressure
- Have class members use a plastic bottle to build their own leaky water tower and see how the trajectory changes
- Requires Java 1.5.0_19 or later on Macs and Java 1.5.0_15 or later on Windows and Linux operating systems
- Includes a few teacher-submitted activities including how to use the simulation as part of a lab, as homework, and as a demo
- Translates the activity into 44 different languages
- Provides a document with insights into student thinking, including common misconceptions