This Figurative Language and Foreshadowing in The Outsiders lesson plan also includes:
S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders is still relatable to teenagers today, even though it was written more than 50 years ago. Explore how the figurative language of the story works to establish characterization, and how foreshadowing lays out future plot points, with a set of language arts activities.
- Assign the personality quiz in the first few chapters of a novel unit
- Group learners by which Outsider they identify as
- Use the essay writing prompt as a final assessment
- Each activity takes about 20-30 minutes, plus time to track textual evidence during a novel unit
- Designed to meet National and Common Core standards
- Introduces learners to the characters and plot points of the novel