This Exploring Geometric Probabilities with Buffon’s Coin Problem lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Scholars create and perform experiments attempting to answer Buffon's Coin problem. They discover the relationships between geometry and probability, empirical and theoretical probabilities, and area of a circle and square.
10 Views 5 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Using the same size grid, experiment with different-sized coins to see if the results change
- Using the same size coins, try using different size grids (both larger and smaller boxes) and observe any differences
- Relies on prior knowledge of area formulas, probability, proportion, and simulations
- Links to online resources for many extension ideas
- Allows for multiple ways to teach the same topic—hands-on, virtual experiment, analysis only, etc.