This Explore the Information Universe lesson plan also includes:
Distinguishing among different types of content when conducting online searches can be a challenge. An informative resource helps researchers identify different types of content, from fact-based reports to ads, from propaganda to satire. Before setting out on their search, as guided practice, scholars examine a sample search result sheet about a banana slug action movie. Learners then test their categorizing skills on real-world examples that interest them.
- Enlarge, color print, and display the "Explore the Information Universe" graphic
- Some class members may not be familiar with banana slugs; prepare and project images of banana slugs
- Project the "Save The Pacific Tree Octopus" as an example of satire
- Requires copies, one for each participant, of the "Explore the Information Universe" and the "Sample Search Results" worksheets
- Learners need access to devices with internet
- Includes discussion questions and an extension activity