This English Language Arts Examination: January 2018 assessment also includes:
Excerpts from classic novels make great material for standardized tests. A sample English language arts examination, part of a larger set of assessments, mixes excerpts from classic novels and more modern texts. The test includes three sections: multiple choice, source-based argument, and text analysis response. Answer keys provide sample responses to the open-source argument prompt and the text analysis prompt, which is based on an excerpt from a piece by Sherwood Anderson.
- Use annotation strategies to mark up the excerpt from Sherwood Anderson, and then model using the annotations to write a response
- Turn the source-based argument into a debate and challenge scholars to use evidence from the texts in their responses
- The assessment suggests a three-hour time limit
- Includes scoring keys, rubrics, and conversion charts to make scoring easier
- Provides clear instructions for test-takers
- Uses numbers rather than letters for multiple choice options, which may become confusing