This Determining Densities activity also includes:
Don't be dense—use a robust resource. The second installment of a five-part Floaters and Sinkers unit has learners determine the densities of several objects. As part of the activity, they learn the displacement method for finding volume. They'll then plot a mass versus volume graph and predict which objects will float in water.
- Have pupils create a graphic organizer summarizing density concepts
- A variety of materials is necessary for the activity; see resource for complete list
- Scholars must be familiar with volume formulas for solids (prisms, cylinders, spheres)
- Provides a recording sheet for the activity
- Lists some troubleshooting tips