This Decoding an Editorial Cartoon lesson plan also includes:
What advantages do political cartoons have over written editorials? Scholars discuss the topic by exploring editorial cartoons. Working in small groups, pupils analyze an Uncle Sam cartoon and complete a worksheet. As a fun extension, they create their own political cartoons—educational and creative!
- Introduce the concept of editorial cartoons by creating a web on the board and asking students to provide associated words and phrases
- Print the worksheets and handouts before the lesson
- Requires finding and printing additional political cartoons
- Includes clear, step-by-step instructions with helpful teacher information
- Contains engaging and higher-order analysis questions