Historically, humans have used many methods of finding due north. Using a hands-on activity, learners create their own compasses. They then test their compasses in their neighborhood or to assist with stargazing.
3 Views 3 Downloads NGSS: Adaptable
- After creating the compasses, have pupils complete a scavenger hunt from a set of directions
- Incorporate the activity when studying magnetic fields
- Requires a specific set of materials and time for preparation
- Ensure students have materials at home if assigning as a remote learning activity
- Provides a thorough set of instructions
- Includes a brief history of the compass