This Direction on the Earth: Using a Compass interactive also includes:
Navigate the world of orienteering in an informative interactive. Earth science scholars learn practical direction skills, such as proper polar coordinates and pairing compasses with maps. The interactive map allows them to practice locating points and determine direction of travel between two points.
- Pair students, provide maps, and do some orienteering around the school
- Have learners brainstorm a list of situations where using a compass would be helpful
- Create a free CK-12 account to view the resource
- A quick tour of a compass might be in order
- Navigating by compass is demonstrated in a video in the Explore More section
- A variety of embedded questions help pupils track their progress toward mastering the objective of the lesson