This Comparing Civil War Recruitment Posters interactive also includes:
African Americans fought in the Civil War, and they were recruited by both the Union and the Confederacy! By comparing the wording of posters—one directed at freedmen and another to the owners of enslaved people—young historians discover how each side viewed black soldiers. Questions prompt learners to consider language, tone, and audience, strengthening analytical skills.
- Offer an activity to profile the role of African American soldiers during the Civil War
- Develop primary source analysis skills by using questions included with the resource
- To complete the activity, class members need access to an Internet-enabled device
- Activity is short, powerful, and easy to integrate into instruction
- Features allow for pupils to zoom in and examine each document critically
- It's unclear from a submission button on the activity where answers go