This Can-struction activity & project also includes:
Can you solve it?! A New York City art challenge involves making sculptures from cans. The task is to determine the number of cans used in the engineering award-winning sculpture. Scholars consider the patterns in the different layers to construct a solution.
- Have pupils create a table showing their predictions for each level of the structure
- Ask older individuals to model the pattern with a sequence and series
- Requires an understanding of area and patterns
- Adaptable to different grade levels
- Leaves the question open-ended to encourage multiple solution strategies