Know thy calculator. Young mathematicians use their calculators to answer a set of questions. They consider how the number of digits the calculator displays affects the answers to calculations. They then find examples of computations where the calculator does not give an accurate answer due to limitations in the number of digits.
- Use the resource as an extension activity
- Preferably, all learners have calculators that display the same number of digits
- Pupils should be familiar with place value and its relationship to powers of 10
- Answer key takes into consideration the fact that different calculators display different numbers of digits
- Printable worksheet is available