Millipedes breathe through a series of tubes underneath their bodies. A short animation demonstrates the placement and function of these breathing tubes. Scholars build off this knowledge as they learn more about evolution, adaptation, and body plans.
- Dissect millipedes in class
- Debate why they evolved under their bodies rather than on top or on their heads
- Relies on prior knowledge of millipedes and exoskeletons
- Designed to meet the Benchmarks for Science Literacy and the Next Generation Science Standards
- Permits downloading if streaming is limited or not available