This Applications of the Pythagorean Theorem: Lesson video also includes:
The Pythagorean Theorem works for something other than right triangles; show your class all it can do. Using information from the Pythagorean Theorem, the video shows how to determine whether a triangle is an acute or obtuse triangle. Part of a large geometry playlist, the video uses the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance between two points and introduces the distance formula.
- Conduct a mini-lesson to derive the distance formula from the Pythagorean Theorem
- Struggling learners may benefit from the reverse of the rule to classifying triangles by putting C squared first
- Pupils should know the classifications of triangles
- Links to more CK-12 Pythagorean Theorem application resources
- Provides worked examples
- The last summary of the rule to classify triangles is incorrect, square each quantity instead