This Anita's Way to Add Fractions with Unlike Denominators activity & project also includes:
Could you develop your own way to add fractions with unlike denominators? An in-depth task has scholars examine a fictional conversation between several people in which they discuss a method of adding fractions with unlike denominators. The method requires scaling the fractions using a fraction bar model until the sum is an integer, then dividing by the scale factor.
- Select a few pupils to read the dialogue out loud as a skit
- Learners should already have knowledge of adding fractions with like denominators
- An understanding of a ÷ b as the fraction a/b is necessary
- Provides discussion questions to use with the class
- Lists evidence of mathematical practices in the task