This An Educators' Guide to Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys lesson plan also includes:
Books can help teens understand complex global issues. A helpful educator's guide introduces readers to what it's like to be a refugee. Lesson components for the novel Shades of Gray include an anticipation guide and writing and research activities.
- Research a refugee group that has taken up residence in your own town or state
- Discuss the meaning of the title of the novel and how it connects to the content
- Different activities connect with different Common Core standards
- Shares a Q&A with the author of the book
- Makes cross-curricular connections
- Lacks chapter-by-chapter resources