This A Scientific Investigation – What Types of Food Contain Starch and Protein? lab resource also includes:
You are what you eat, as they say! Are you more starch or more protein? Young scholars use their knowledge of each component to test different foods for their content. Using multiple indicators, individuals describe the protein and starch concentration in a variety of foods and use their results to predict concentrations in various food types.
- Have your class create a list of foods that they believe contain protein and those that contain starch; then list those foods in order based on the amount of protein or starch in each
- Discuss the structure of proteins and starches prior to the activity to help learners understand the role of the indicator
- Requires a basic understanding of atoms and molecules
- Encourages higher order thinking
- Allows individuals to design their own experimental methods