This 6th Grade: Express Yourself, Lesson 2: Close Read lesson plan also includes:
The second lesson of a pair about Paul Laurence Dunbar, this plan focuses in particular on his poem, "We Wear the Masks." After a short historical introduction, class members conduct a series or readings, marking up the text and discussing literary elements such as imagery, tone, and personification. The final evaluation combines what pupils have learned about this poem, as well as the poem they studied in the previous lesson.
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Well-sequenced plan that requires close reading and higher-level thinking
- Hits on many Common Core skills such as using textual evidence, analyzing a text, and participating in collaborative discussions
- Some of the provided links do not work
- The first few steps of the plan and the final evaluation instructions are somewhat vague; however, the remainder of the procedures are specific