This Women of the Movement: Civil Rights Movement in Alabama lesson plan also includes:
Many know of Rosa Parks involvement in the Civil Rights Movement, but who were other female leaders? The instructional activity focuses on female Civil Rights leaders and their achievements. Scholars complete research, participate in group discussions, complete a quilt activity, and watch a video to learn the importance and impact of women during the transformative time in history.
- Have learners write journal entries based on the life of a female civil rights leader
- Lead a group discussion on ways women have influenced public policy, such as the suffrage movement
- The Civil Rights Movement may be a sensitive topic for some pupils
- The lesson highlights women in leadership roles
- Provides modifications for the lesson plan