This Why Isn't There an Eclipse Every Month? interactive also includes:
Searching for an eclipse activity that sends scholars over the moon? Try an interesting interactive to get their minds active! The resource, part of an extensive Space series from PBS Learning Media, uses modeling and data analysis to explore the mechanics of solar and lunar eclipses.
- To extend the lesson, have students create their own models of the sun-moon-Earth system
- Include a short video that explains the process of predicting eclipses
- Expects individuals are familiar with terms such as umbra and penumbra
- Set up free PBS accounts for the class before starting the lesson
- The resource is perfect for shedding light on why eclipses occur, which pupils often misunderstand
- A wealth of extensions is available in the related resources section