Our skin is the first line of defense against insects, parasites, and other irritants. How do we defend it? Step inside the science of scratching with a video from an informative playlist. Topics include how itching evolved, what happens inside our bodies when we encounter an itch, and extreme itching situations.
- Dig deeper into the science of itch with an interesting article
- Have viewers create a flow chart of the itching process as they watch
- Review some anatomical terms, such as neuron and epidermis, with younger viewers before the video begins
- Real-life tales add humor and a little grossness to the resource
- The descriptions of the itching process are perfect for middle and high school-aged scientists