This Who Grows There? activity & project also includes:
More than 127 non-native species live in Glacier National Park in Montana and their infestations are growing! Pupils read about and gather samples of exotic plants. Participants create a master book of pressed plants and complete a service learning project where they specifically help rid the area of exotic species.
- Have examples of some weeds already pressed to show classes
- Go over what poison ivy, oak, and sumac look like so nobody ends up with rashes
- Duration of activity is listed as three hours; depending upon discussion, activity could take one to three hours
- If you don't live near Glacier park, inquire with your local parks about volunteer efforts for middle school learners
- Activity encourages volunteering to help local community
- Great discussion questions to get classes thinking about their roles in the big picture of environmental problems