How do you rise above your challenges? This is a question the anticipation guide for Where the Red Fern Grows answers. Full of questions and direct statements about themes of the text, pupils investigate whether or not the writer would agree with certain thematic statements. Grow understanding of various themes of the text and engage individuals with this pre-reading strategy before reading chapters 12 and 13.
- Use a tech tool such as Google forms to collect data on responses
- Have readers present evidence to support their answers
- The activity expects readers to have finished chapters 12 and 13 of Where the Red Fern Grows
- If assessing learners on participation, make sure to discuss expectations and even model desired behaviors for the class
- The lesson allows for pupils to monitor their thinking and reflect on their own metacognition; do their opinions stay the same or change? Why?
- Resource does not include student copy of anticipation guide, transparency, or assessment needed for lesson