This When Birds Stopped Flying video also includes:
Flight seems like an important adaptive advantage, so why did some birds lose their ability to take to the skies? A video from the PBS Eons series explains the evolutionary paths of different species of birds while emphasizing the flightless ones. The narrator discusses theories about the puzzling migration of these flightless birds across continents.
- Compare and contrast the varying hypotheses of the migration of the flightless birds
- Have learners color a map showing the locations different birds settled
- Assumes a basic understanding of genetic adaptation
- Video uses images and diagrams that are engaging to the viewer
- Emphasizes the scientific principles while discussing the hypotheses and genetic concepts