This What is a Trapezoid? (Part 1) lesson plan also includes:
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
Challenge your class to construct a definition for trapezoids. Looking at four examples and four non-examples, students individually create definitions and use them to classify an unknown shape. Allow for small group and whole-class discussions in order to reach agreement on a single definition for trapezoids. A great activity for identifying distinguishing characteristics of different shapes.
- Creating a definition of trapezoids develops students' critical thinking skills
- Non-examples strategically chosen to guide students toward a correct definition of trapezoids
- Uses collaboration to support learning about trapezoids
- Requires a prior understanding of quadrilaterals and parallel lines