"The Pied Piper of Hamelin" is the focus of a instructional activity designed to shed light on the importance of keeping promises. As a class, scholars take part in a discussion on the topic of honesty and consequences. Independent readers then take to the German folktale written by the brothers Grimm and create a dramatic tableau in small groups.
- Locate and view tableaus online to give pupils concrete examples
- Praise learners that exhibit trustworthiness and who keep their promises
- Each participant requires a copy of the story and a highlighter
- Background information about the authors and the story is provided
- The lesson contains a list of modifications and extension activities
- Encourages following through with promises
- The resource disc mentioned is not included—some aspects of the lesson are no longer applicable