This Viewing History from Multiple Perspectives lesson plan also includes:
Celebration or protest song? The full text of Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" opens a study of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, the Louisiana Purchase, and Western Expansion from various perspectives. Middle schoolers examine maps, works of art, articles, and children's stories to understand other ways these historical events can be viewed.
- Use the lesson during November's Native American Heritage Month
- Check to make sure the school or local library have the suggested children's and young adult books about Lewis and Clark available; if not, consider asking the school to purchase them
- The second of three lessons in the series; the first is designed for grades 4 and 5, while the third is for grades 11 and 12
- Requires a projector with internet access as well as extra time to prepare all the materials needed for the lesson
- The lesson reinforces the concept that historical events can be viewed from many perspectives