This Vietnam War lesson plan also includes:
A picture can speak 1000 words. Scholars research the Vietnam War through the lens of a camera. Examining photos from the collection of Christopher D. Ammons allows open interpretation of life during one of America's darkest conflicts. They create a new letter home from the vantage point of an American soldier in Vietnam.
- Invite a local historian or Vietnam veteran as a guest speaker
- Place additional Vietnam photos around the room as a reference
- Monitor students writing and reflecting on the assessment letters to prevent inappropriate responses
- Resource provides extension materials through PBS web site on Vietnam
- Lesson includes printable worksheets and photographs for classroom use and distribution