This Unit 8: Proofreading unit plan also includes:
Plagued by punctuation or stymied by spelling? Lesson eight in a nine-part series of career education and skills activities introduces the importance of proofreading. Learners categorize common writing errors and construct error-free letters by evaluating sentences for spelling, punctuation, and subject-verb agreement.
- Open class by asking students to make a quick list of mistakes they often make when writing
- To follow up the lesson, assign a project where small groups create presentations that explain how to prevent one of the writing errors they explored
- Some of the errors in task three are very subtle; consider working on this task as a class if pupils are just beginning to master proofreading skills
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The resource concisely covers common letter-writing errors
- A downloadable teacher's guide includes printable tasks and answer keys