This Truth to Power: Writing Letters for Change activity & project also includes:
Can letter writing really create social change? Pupils create and mail formal letters addressing a specific organization to promote social change they wish to see. Class members reflect on the process and responses they received in small groups and with journal writing. The lesson provides an engaging way for scholars to discuss social activism and improve their writing skills.
- Complete a formal letter as a group to help learners understand the process
- Have a local activist speak to the class regarding ways they can promote change within the community
- Teachers should compile a list of companies before the lesson begins
- Provides an opportunity to engage with the local community
- Lesson teaches and promotes advocacy