This The Tyranny of the Majority lesson plan also includes:
In American democracy, majority rules but what prevents the voices of the few from being crushed? Using excerpts from Alexis de Tocqueville's writings, young historians explore cases where minority rights were trampled upon. Extension questions help scholars consider where this dangerous dynamic is in play in America today.
- Create a debate on whether democracy is fair to the minority using the discussion questions included with the resource
- Use included materials to sharpen primary source reading skills
- Lesson is second in the three-part series about the tyranny of the majority
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Resource includes a second lesson for more advanced learners
- Answer key and vocabulary exercise make the lesson easy to use and adapt