This The Supreme Court: Early Civil Rights Cases Facing the Supreme Court lesson plan also includes:
Imagine being an ex-slave after the Civil War and not understanding if you were considered a citizen of the United States. Scholars analyze the early Supreme Court battles in civil rights cases and especially the Fourteenth Amendment. Using video clips, dissenting opinions, and the law, class members create their own written response to early civil rights cases.
- Create a debate with half the class in favor of the Fourteenth Amendment and half oopposed
- Invite a local lawyer or judge to speak to civil rights laws and the Fourteenth Amendment
- Lesson designed for 50 minutes, pace time for activities accordingly
- Video clips contain violence
- Resource provides additional video clips for extension of unit
- Includes printable support materials for classroom use