This The Lowdown — Your Odds of Winning Powerball: Probabilities of Compound Events Using Visuals video also includes:
You have a greater chance of being crushed by a vending machine than winning the Powerball lottery. Part of The Lowdown: Real-World Math series, an engaging video describes how the Powerball works and how to calculate the probability of winning. Scholars then model the event using ping-pong balls to get a better picture of compound probability.
- Have learners research the probability that there will be a winner in the next Powerball lottery
- Each group needs 10 ping-pong balls for the activity
- Pupils should be familiar with probability concepts
- Provides printable worksheets
- Video and topic are sure to hold viewer interest