This The Lowdown — A-Rhythm-Etic video also includes:
Let the beat go on. A resource in the Math at the Core MS: Ratios series points out that fractions are integral to musical rhythms. The activity starts with a video to motivate the class. Classmates then work in pairs to create rhythms and record them with expressions containing fractions.
- Invite the music teacher to come and explain different time signatures
- Pupils should be comfortable adding fractions with unlike denominators
- Discuss with the class the sum of the fractions in different time measures
- Activity contains graphics to scaffold the work
- Includes learning outcomes