Fans of Sherlock Holmes may be surprised to learn that in addition to stories of the famous deductionist, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is also the creator of Professor Challenger. An irascible, unpredictable scientist, Challenger was featured in Doyle's fantasy and science fiction stories, of which The Lost World is most well known. Introduce young readers to the professor with an abridged version of Doyle's classic tale of dinosaurs and ape-men.
- As math practice, show readers how to convert from metric measure to feet and inches
- Ask readers to add an illustration to each chapter of the tale
- Organize a community-wide reading celebration using a book that has adapted versions appropriate for various reading levels
- This adapted version of The Lost World was designed for younger readers as part of a celebration of Charles Darwin's and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthdays
- The 1925 silent movie version of The Lost World is available online
- The 27-page packet includes biographical information about Doyle and Darwin, as well as illustrations, vocabulary lists, puzzles, and activities for each chapter of the book