This The Irish Myth of the Giant's Causeway video also includes:
When an Irish giant and a Scottish giant face off in a mythical duel, it is a cunning woman who determines the outcome with her clever tricks. Introduce viewers to geomythology—myths that explain the occurrence of natural features—with an animated version of a little-known Irish tale. Learners who watch the resource are primed to find further connections between mythology and geography.
- Show pupils a photograph of the Giant’s Causeway and ask them to speculate, based on what they know about rock formation, how it might have come to look the way it does
- Extend the lesson by having scholars research other geomyths
- Pause the video at the map (0:09) and help the class relate it to a more precise map of the area by finding the structures that match
- Pre-teach locations mentioned in the video using a precise map
- Simple graphics help learners focus on the core story points
- Cross-curricular connections with science and literature