This The Hunger Games video also includes:
The odds will be in your favor that young statisticians will volunteer to participate in this experiment. After watching a short video that is part of the PBS Math at the Core middle school collection, scholars engage in a lottery and use a formula to predict the probability that their name will be drawn.
- To provide a context for the experiment, show the lottery scene from The Hunger Games film
- The directions for the experiment are complex; therefore, project the directions but reveal only one step at a time, and check for understanding before proceeding to the next step
- Class members need not be familiar with the novel or the film; however, showing the lottery scene would provide a context and create interest in the novel
- Register for a free PBS account to access materials
- Using data based on their own families, pupils make a personal connection to the experiment