Who is the greatest US president? George Washington? Abraham Lincoln? FDR? Find out the opinions of your young historians with this cross-curricular writing prompt that engages them in researching the accomplishments of these influential world leaders.
- Include this writing prompt as an in-class assignment during an upper-elementary unit on opinion/persuasive writing
- Offer this writing exercise as an extension activity during a social studies unit on the United States government
- As additional support, provide your class with graphic organizers for taking notes and structuring their writing
- Adjust the complexity of this writing task to meet the abilities of students across the upper-elementary and middle school grade levels
- Gather reference materials from your school or local public library for students to use when researching presidents
- Guiding questions are provided that help direct students' research and writing
- Depending on children's handwriting, enough space is provided for one or two paragraphs