This The Cultural Significance of Naming activity also includes:
The Navajo would disagree with Shakespeare that the naming of things is irrelevant. Navajo people have to earn their names. Middle schoolers learn about the cultural significance of Navajo names in a lesson that uses a video and reading passages. To end the lesson, individuals craft an acrostic poem using the letters of their names.
- Ask class members to create a name for a friend or family member based on the methods the Navajo use
- Post the acrostic poems on a name focus wall
- WiFi access is recommended
- Projection equipment is also required for the videos
- Some of the included links are no longer available, but replacements have been provided
- Includes examples of acrostic poems and links to additional resources