This The Cold, Hard Truth lesson plan also includes:
Things are really getting heated in the lab! Science scholars scope out the facts about heat energy transfer using a simple lab from the K20 series. Groups collaborate to observe temperature changes between hot metal and water, then use their observations to explain how heat flows.
- Set up enough demonstration stations so individuals can experience the heat energy flow between their hands and water
- Take the learning further by having groups design their own versions of the experiment using different materials
- If your class is not ready to tackle the heat calculations, focus the experiment on describing the flow of heat energy instead
- The engagement demonstration is simple yet impactful
- A variety of resources and extensions allow you to tailor the lesson plan to your class' abilities