This 'The Century's Bitterest Journalistic Failure'? Considering Times Coverage of the Holocaust lesson plan also includes:
- New York Times Holocaust Resource Page
- "150th Anniversary: 1851-2001; Turning Away From the Holocaust" by Max Frankel
- "Extinction Feared by Jews in Poland," March 1, 1942
- Chapter One of The Holocaust in American Life by Peter Novick
- "'Buried by The Times': Horror Story" by Robert Leiter
- Join to access all included materials
Rich with primary sources and additional resources, this plan asks class members to think critically about newspaper coverage of the Holocaust. Focusing in particular on the analysis of the article "150th Anniversary: 1851-2001: Turning Away From the Holocaust" by Max Frankel, learners evaluate the role of journalism in the Holocaust and World War II. The plan calls for a class discussion; create your own writing project to wrap up the activity.