This Teacher’s Guide: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck study guide also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
A 10-page guide to John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men includes a brief plot summary, information about preparing readers for the language in the novel, pre-reading, during reading, and post-reading questions, essay prompts, and project ideas. A must-have for instructors who are experienced using the novel in their classroom and for first-timers.
- Before assigning the novel, instructors should read the "Preparing to Read the Novel" paragraph that includes information on why the book appears on the American Library Association's "List of Most Challenged Books of the 21st Century" and consider how they will handle the issues mentioned
- Project or post several of Dorothea Lange's migrant series photographs
- A protocol must be in place to permit a safe and sensitive discussion of the language, the attitudes toward women, and Lennie's disabilities
- Of particular value are the activities that ask readers to consider the author's purpose in using racist and sexist language and an activity that asks groups to read and share their understanding of the articles that discuss how to use respectful disability language