This Teach This Poem: "Tuesday 9/11/01" by Lucille Clifton lesson plan also includes:
A photograph and a poem remind young people of the events of November 11, 2001. After examining Andrea Booher's photograph taken on September 13, 2001, and reading Lucille Clifton's poem "Tuesday 9/11/01", scholars compare their reactions to and the feelings evoked by the two works.
- It may be necessary to review, especially with younger learners, the events of 9/11/01
- Ask class members to interview family members about their reactions to the bombings
- Discuss with the class the poet's choice of font and text structure
- Reminder: Few, if any class members were alive to witness the attacks
- The activities encourage learners to examine carefully the details the artists use to evoke feelings in their audiences