This Teach This Poem: “As I Walk These Broad Majestic Days” by Walt Whitman lesson plan also includes:
Walt Whitman's poem "As I Walk These Broad Majestic Days" offers scholars an opportunity to practice their noticing skills. They first examine a postcard of the Newport News Shipyard listing things they notice about the image and how these details make them feel. Class members then do a close reading of Whitman's poem and list words and phrases that catch their attention. Using these lists to support their analysis, pupils respond to a series of questions about the poem.
- Before beginning the lesson, instructors should read the attached Teacher Reference found in the Included Materials section of this review that describes the noticing instructional approached used
- Include in a study of the American Civil War, during April's Poetry Month Month, or a study of Walt Whitman and his poetry
- Part of the "Teach This Poem" series from the Academy of American Poets
- The resource includes extension activities and a context essay for instructors
- Younger learners may need additional scaffolding to connect the postcard image to the poem