Sometimes learning can be pretty sweet! Get your class involved in the sugar-versus-high-fructose-corn-syrup debate with a video from a playlist on chemical reactions. Viewers see the similarities and differences between the two sweet substances, as well as the hazards of a high-sugar diet.
- The versatile video adds interest to agriculture, nutrition, and sugar chemistry lessons
- Plan a scavenger hunt homework assignment where pupils raid their cupboards in search of foods containing high fructose corn syrup
- Before the video, show the class the chemical structures of glucose and fructose to get them comfortable with they way they are drawn
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Presents the information in an engaging way
- Side-by-side comparisons of different sugar molecules let viewers judge for themselves as to their advantages and disadvantages